I’ve been making variations of this salad for years. I recently learned how to massage the kale and it makes a huge difference. I had a friend ask for my recipe and I realized I don’t have one. This is my first attempt at writing a recipe, so please let me know how it works out! I like to change up the ingredients: sometimes a pear instead of an apple, cranberries instead of currants, Parmesan instead of feta, etc. Great as a side dish or by itself the next day for lunch!
- 2 cups idli rice / sona masuri rice
- 1 cup urad dal/spilt & skinned black gram lentils
- ½ tsp menthe / fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup cooked rice
- salt as required
- water for soaking and grinding
- coconut oil to grease
- soak idli rice / sona masuri rice and fenugreek for at least for 5-6 hrs. also soak urad dal in a separate vessel for 2 hrs.
- drain the water completely. you can use the same water for grinding.
- first grind the soaked rice with required water. make to smooth paste.
- take cooked rice in the blender and add little water and make it into a smooth batter.
- transfer this to a large container.
- now take urad dal in the same blender and add little water at a time and make it into a smooth batter.
- make fluffy batter and transfer this to the same container.
- give a good mix.
- cover and ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
- you can see the batter has raised slightly indicating its well fermented.
- take out the required portion of batter and refrigerate the rest of batter.
- grease idli plates with little oil.
- spoon the batter into each moulds.
- place this idli plates into steamer and steam for 8 to 10 mins in a medium flame.
- once it is steamed, remove it and let it cool for a bit.
- your idli with cooked rice or cooked rice idli is ready. serve it with chutney or sambar.