I’ve been making variations of this salad for years. I recently learned how to massage the kale and it makes a huge difference. I had a friend ask for my recipe and I realized I don’t have one. This is my first attempt at writing a recipe, so please let me know how it works out! I like to change up the ingredients: sometimes a pear instead of an apple, cranberries instead of currants, Parmesan instead of feta, etc. Great as a side dish or by itself the next day for lunch!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (plus extra for greasing the pans)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups buttercream frosting, such as basic buttercream
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Prepare the pans
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and light
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Beat in half the flour, salt, and baking powder
- Beat in the remaining flour mixture until just combined and no more visible flour remains
- Divide the batter between cake pans
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Flip the rounds out of the pan, remove the parchment lining, and flip right-side up to cool completely.
- Once cool, frost and assemble the cake with the buttercream.